Thursday 6 April 2017

Early April in the Garden

 I do like this time of year - in fact I would go so far as saying that April to June is my favourite time of the year.  Everything is fresh and beautiful.
Above are tulip 'Negrita' from last year, which I forgot to remove from their pot and they have flowered again this year, so that was a lovely surprise.  This was last week.  The large expanse of gravel is in next door's garden, as since the wall came down, there is no boundary. However, we have decided to have a wall again, not a fence, so Chris has been very busy removing the remains of the wall and digging down to the foundations, ready for the new foundation and wall. It will look lovely, I'm sure. We are hoping to have it done by the summer.
 Lathyrus vernus has beautiful purples and pinks and brightens up a shady corner.
 Erythronium Pagoda looks so exotic and I am always pleased to see it back.  I took this photo last week too.
I planted a small tub of tulips in the Autumn which is brightening up the front door.  Purissima is the cream/white/green one and Angelique is the pinky/white double.
Angelique has a delicate blush of pink spreading over the petals.
 In the back garden, I have a couple of pots of lily of the valley.  I tried growing them in the border in the past but they weren't happy.  So far, they seem to like the pots.
 A Peony bud on 'Athens', I think.
Tulip Negrita this morning, opening out in the sunshine.
 My favourite, Ballerina, in the sunny border, enjoying a sunbathe.
 More Purissima and Angelique, with a Ronaldo at the back.
 Ballerina in the border.  The ones in the border have flowered much earlier than the new ones I planted last autumn.  I love the way the sun lights up the petals.
 Erythronium Pagoda this morning - lots more flowers now.
 A little group of Spring flowers - Hellebore, Pulmonaria, Lathyrus vernus, Anemone blanda, and lots of leaves,
 Magnolia Susan and the lilac tree against a Spring sky.
 I think this is Ronaldo, just getting ready to flower.
 Leaves of Camellia Yoimachi, an autumn/winter flowering camellia which I bought earlier in the year.  I am looking forward to seeing it flower later in the year.
Nemesia Confetti flowers - this plant has lasted outside over winter with no problems and has a delicate honey scent.
So, that's what I saw this morning...

14 comments:

  1. You have so much beautiful colour in your garden already. I really loved the lathyrus vernus xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cheryl. I do enjoy seeing the bright colours of Spring. In May and June, the colours change to the pastel pinks of roses, which I love too. I am very fond of the Lathyrus as well and have a couple of plants in the shadier part of the border. The ones in the pots seem much happier though. It's a lovely, easy to look after addition to Spring flowering plants.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  2. Spring is a delightful, vibrant exciting time of year isn't it?
    Over the coming weeks I will be planting bulbs to prepare for ours. Over 1000 bulbs.
    I loved peaking into your garden. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EC. I do enjoy Spring and early Summer in the UK. Wow, 1,000 bulbs? That puts my few tubs into perspective! I hope to see many photos on your blog.
      I really enjoy seeing other people's gardens too.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I do enjoy seeing the seasons change with the snowdrops, then daffodils and then tulips. One of the many joys of gardening.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  4. You have some beautiful flowers and gorgeous colour in your garden. It looks lovely. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. I do enjoy all the Spring colours, although I am a relatively recent convert to orange tulips - Ballerina and Princess Irene being my two favourites.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  5. Beautiful. It's such a wonderful time of year when everything bursts in to bloom and the world is full of colour once again. I've had lily of the valley in my border for a few years now, I've had people warn me that it can become invasive but it's stayed put up to now but does look to have just started to spread so you might be wise growing yours in pots. What a gorgeous colour tulip Negrita is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I really look forward to seeing all the Spring colour, which is especially welcome after a rather grey and dull winter. Negrita is a lovely colour and a welcome addition this year as I didn't think it would come back (even though it is classed as perennial). Long may that continue!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  6. I love Spring Ellie...my favourite time of year I think followed very closely by Autumn. Your garden is looking beautiful, so much colour...Debbie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. Spring just makes everything so much more cheerful and optimistic, doesn't it? It is at times like this that I am very pleased to live in the UK, to enjoy the seasons changing. Hot sun and blue skies every day would get a bit wearing after a while!
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! What an array of colours!
    Spring.....my favourite time in the year. I so miss having a garden.

    keep well

    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I love seeing all the Spring colours gradually reveal themselves. I don't think I could live anywhere without a garden of some kind, even if it was just a small one. I would really miss it too. You're very welcome to share my garden, such as it is! It may be a bit of a muddle, but there are some lovely plants which will feature on the blog every now and again.
      Best wishes
      Ellie

      Delete